Monday, February 9, 2009

Equipement on the mountain

I wanted to say one last word, about mountain equipment, whether clothes or gear. It makes a world of difference. Things working properly, clothes keeping you warm; these things can make or break an expedition.

Guardaparques won't allow visitors up the mountain if they do not possess the correct gear. It can be a question of life or death. And from previous entries, you know how thorough the company I contracted was about checking my gear, down to the last pair of socks.

And despite this, many people on the mountain are not properly equipped. They are mainly the porters, assistant guides, and sometimes even the guides themselves. They walk with boots that have holes in them, letting in wetness when the snow melts under the sun; they use pant covers that are not waterproof (when goretex is a prerequisite for us); mitts that do not keep their hands warm; tents that sometimes do not close properly (the ones they provide for us do). I would not say that this is generalized, but it is pretty widespread, and it seems to require a few years before a person has the proper gear. This difference in the visitors' gear and theirs is pretty blatant, and as a result, it seems quite common to leave gear as tips after an expedition. This is something I did, along with others. I left my goretex pants, my icepick, socks, half my first-aid kit, mitts, base camp booties, a lightweight bag. The stuff I've seen in stores over there (particularly of the Ansilta brand, a local, excellent brand) is even more expensive than in Canada (Argentina has one of the highest tax on imported products in the continent), so expensive for visitors, and totally unaffordable for locals. I was really happy to be able to leave stuff, and if anyone plans on doing this or other expeditions, bring along any thing you no longer use, you are sure to find someone who will cherish it and for whom it will make a difference. I plan on sending along goodie bags when I get home. Hand warmers, socks, liner mitts, neck warmers, mattresses, or anything more expensive and specialized such as mountaineering glasses, altimeter watches and the such seem more than appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment