Thursday, December 18, 2008

Testing equipment

The snow is falling softly on the city of Montreal tonight. Unfortunately though, it won't get cold enough. I am waiting for at least -15 and preferably -20 C to test out my new sleeping bag, rated -30 C. I did this already a couple of nights ago, but it was only -10 C, and predictably, I was toasty warm. I had to wedge myself between the garbage can and recycling box out on the balcony, and I guess I might have perplexed the neighbours if they saw me. Not that they would mind too much, this is a pretty liberal part of town.
I feel a little restless in relation to my equipment, especially as the other person I know who is planning to do this (in a different group from mine) already has his bag fully packed! And we only leave in 3 weeks. I pretty much have everything I need for camping, but have never encountered the colds and winds we will likely be facing, at least not together, so I bought a few new items of clothing, especially socks and mitts, and am testing away. I look forward to a 3-day cross-country ski trip next week that will allow me to do this in realistic conditions.
Just checked the weather again. It's -5 C, definitely not cold enough. Guess I will sleep in my bed tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. Textile Testing Equipment

    ReplyDelete